The Aspire Channel Swim is back! Aspire is a national charity offering practical support for those with spinal cord injuries. The Aspire Channel Swim is now in its 16th year and is running from 14th September - 7th December, where swimmers will complete 22 miles within 12 weeks!
Here are ten great reasons to take on the challenge:
1. Swimming is a great fitness choice as it’s a low-impact workout for the whole body. Because it’s easy on your joints, it is perfect for just about everyone, especially those who have physical limitations or who find other forms of exercise painful.
2. Resistance training can help build strong muscles and reduce body fat. As water is denser than air, every movement made in water is against a greater resistance.
3. Swimming enables you to work the whole body at the same time unlike most gym equipment that only works on isolated muscle groups.
4. Swimming is an aerobic exercise so it strengthens your heart muscle and increases its size. This enables better blood flow throughout your body and may help increase your life expectancy.
5. Swimming can help you achieve your weight loss goals. Working at intense interval training will also give your calorie burning a big boost.
6. Just 30 minutes of swimming, three times a week, can reduce your risk of getting type 2 Diabetes by 10%.
7. Swimming is an excellent stress buster as your body releases endorphins that make you happy and calm.
8. Exercising is a great way to boost your confidence and raise your self-esteem. The Aspire Channel Swim is a great challenge as it has achievable milestones and rewards for you to achieve.
9. The Aspire Channel Swim can be done as part of a team, which gives you the perfect excuse to catch up with family and friends whilst raising money for a great cause.
10. How often do you get the chance to say that you’ve swum the length of the English Channel?!
The Aspire team are kitted out in their Zoggs gear and raring to go! Are you convinced? Click here to sign up today!