Check out our top 10 reasons to take up OPEN WATER SWIMMING
- Open Space - A real sense of freedom as there are no walls, no barriers to the distance you want to swim. You are not restricted to a pool lane and swimming in a confined space.
- Being in touch with nature - Enjoying the beauty of nature, exploring many different types of scenery with rivers, lakes and oceans with many different backgrounds to forest/woodland, rolling hills, mountains and so much more!
- Physical Benefits - Swimming in cold water has scientifically proven to boost the immune system, increasing your white blood cell count by swimming at least 3 times a week. It can feel like a detox for the whole body.
- Mental Benefits – In cold water cortisol, a stress hormone is released from your adrenal glands, while a beta-endorphin hormone in the brain provide a sense of euphoria creating a natural high, helping to improve your mood. Also the sense of achievement swimming in deeper water out of your comfort zone, can also give you a sense of acomplishment.
- Social Benefits – Open water swimming is very much a social sport, you don’t have to be competitive. It is beneficial for all ages and abilities. There are many groups up and down the country and globally that come together and meet to do wild swimming or at a local lake/ocean and enjoy a chat and a coffee afterwards. Whenever I’m travelling, I will try and swim with a local group or swimming community where possible. It’s a great way to meet new people.